IRS Phone Number
Calling IRS customer service faster by GetHuman
Current Wait: 43分钟 (29m avg)
Hours: Mon-Fri 7am-7pm EST; best time to call: 8:00am
Get targeted help: Tell us the issue so we get you to right rep, offer relevant tips, reminders & follow-up!
Get to a live person fastest: 按1表示英语，然后按2表示“个人所得税”，然后按1，然后按3，然后按2，然后在询问您的社会保险号时按0＃，然后按2。
If you find yourself lost or frustrated, we partner with a California-based expert help company to provide you with tech support 24/7. Enjoy a $1 one-week trial membership and get help from a live expert now. Click to learn more.
Reasons customers like you called recently
when will i get my refund
Wasn’t supposed to claim my son and mother is supposed to claim him
NEED TO TALK TO IRS REPRESENTSTIVE
I need to make my payment arrangements
I want to check the status of my refund
Received a CP** notice from IRS indicating there was a miscalculation on my **** for...
My tax return was accepted on Feb **,**** and I have yet to receive my return or any in...
Status of impact payment for ssdi and filed tax return
I have checked the status of my federal refund, it still says it's processing but it ha...
I need to talk how *can I get stimulus check *I'm in namely cricess and dv shelter I'm...
My taxes were accepted on Feb **th and I still haven't received my refund. I need to k...
Try to file separate but married m I don’t have her ss
Stimulus was mailed out and dated for the **th and never received it and only mail i re...
I have payment arrangements for prior tax years that I am paying every month. No compl...
Need to speak to a representative for tax questions and timing?See more recent reasons for calling
Help me with my issue
Our Editor's Notes on IRS's Phone-Based Customer Care
The Internal Revenue Service, better known as the IRS, is the United States' tax collection agency. Since this federal agency serves just about everyone living in the country, it isn't surprising that it gets many calls to its customer service center.
Why Do People Call IRS Customer Support?
People call IRS customer support for a range of tax-related questions, including:
- Questions about and requests for tax forms
- Questions about tax balances
- Requests for refund status updates
- Inquiries about payment plans and offers in compromise
- Reports of identity theft or questions about communications allegedly from the IRS.
- Scheduling a meeting with an IRS agent
- Requesting help from the Taxpayer Advocate Service
- Requesting information about free tax return preparation services
Best Practices for Calling IRS Customer Service
Unfortunately, many individuals have fallen victim to scams perpetrated by dishonest people claiming to be IRS agents. Calling the IRS, verify that the number you have is correct. You can do this at IRS.gov, which is the only official website for the IRS.
Scammers may provide you with a number and claim that it is for the IRS. However, if you call it, you will be speaking to somebody who is working with the scammer. In addition, do not rely on information, including provided phone numbers, from sent to you or websites other than IRS.gov.
The IRS's website provides a list of numbers for specific divisions and concerns. If you are calling regarding your own taxes, there is a different number than for those individuals who are calling on behalf of someone else. In addition, there are separate lines for those who are calling on behalf of a deceased person's estate, as well as lines for people seeking free help with tax return preparation or the Taxpayer Advocate Service.
Callers to the IRS are required to provide information to the IRS that can establish the caller's identity. A list of required information and documentation for different types of calls can be found on the IRS website, but typically includes:
- The taxpayer's Social Security Number or taxpayer-identification number plus his or her birthdate.
- Copies of his or her most recent tax return as well as the tax return he or she is calling about.
- IRS correspondence
- Forms permitting the caller to contact the IRS on behalf of another person.
The IRS notes that calls during taxpayer season, January through April, can have wait times of up to 15 minutes. Calls made in May through December can have wait times of up to 27 minutes.
IRS agents will provide you with their name and badge number when you call. Make sure you have pen and paper handy to record this information in case you need to take further action or escalate your concerns.
How Do People Feel About Their Calls to IRS Customer Support?
While the IRS may have a fierce reputation, many people actually report positive experiences with IRS phone representatives. Callers report being treated courteously and being provided with realistic options for dealing with tax questions and issues.
What Kind of Issues Can IRS Customer Support Resolve?
IRS customer service representatives can help with a range of issues, including:
- Providing callers with tax balances and refund status updates
- Setting up payment arrangements
- Discussing alternate options for dealing with taxes
- Making changes to current payment arrangements
- Answering questions about appeals and enforcement actions
What Can't Be Resolved by Phone With the IRS?
IRS phone agents cannot provide you with legal or accounting advice. If you have questions about tax obligations or pending tax cases, you will need to speak with a tax return specialist, accountant or attorney. In some cases, you will need to fill out and sign forms that must be returned to the IRS by mail.
What Can I Do If I Am Unhappy With My Call to the IRS?
If you hang up the phone with the IRS feeling frustrated, don't lose heart. There may still be ways to get your questions answered or to resolve your IRS issues.
- First, write down or type out what happened during your call. This information can be helpful if you call the IRS back or need to appeal your case.
- In some cases, calling the IRS again may be helpful. While most IRS representatives are well-trained, some have more experience than others and may be better able to provide assistance.
- You may also want to try scheduling a face-to-face meeting with an IRS agent in your local area. While this can be intimidating, an in-person discussion may be more fruitful than trying to describe tax and financial issues and documents over the phone.
- The Taxpayer Advocate Service is a department within the IRS that provides free assistance to taxpayers who need expedited services or who are unable to receive a resolution from standard IRS channels.
- File an appeal by mail. The IRS provides forms for various appeals and these can be requested by phone or downloaded from the IRS's website. When mailing these forms to the IRS, be sure to send them via certified mail so that you can prove the steps you've taken to resolve your issue.
Customer Number 800-829-1040 - by the Numbers
信息最后更新Mon Apr 05 2021 08:00:00 GMT+0000 (Coordinated Universal Time)
IRS's Best Toll-Free/800 Customer Phone Number
这是IRS的最佳电话号码，实时当前等待中的等待时间，以及用于跳过这些电话线直接转到IRS座席的工具。该电话号码是IRS的最佳电话号码，因为像您这样的2,306,316客户在过去18个月中使用了此联系信息，并向我们提供了反馈。回答800-829-1040的呼叫的客户服务部门解决的常见问题包括Track My Refund, Setup Payment Arrangement, Missing Refund, Ask For Tax Help, Order a Transcript和其他客户服务问题。您要呼叫的IRS呼叫中心有Utah, New York, Tennessee名员工，并且根据客户而开放Mon-Fri 7am-7pm EST。 IRS总共有11个电话号码。与IRS代表交谈的最佳方法并不总是很清楚，因此我们开始根据客户社区的建议来编译此信息。请继续分享您的经验，以便我们继续改进这一免费资源。
Contacting IRS - by phone or otherwise
尽管800-829-1040是IRS最好的免费电话号码，但共有13种方法可以与他们联系。根据其他IRS个客户的说法，与他们的客户支持团队联系的下一个最佳方法是拨打其联邦支付征费计划部门的800-829-7650电话号码。除了打电话外，寻求帮助的客户的下一个最喜欢的选择是通过800-829-7650来购买联邦支付征费计划。如果您认为此信息不正确或知道与IRS联系的其他方式，请告知我们，以便我们与其他客户共享。 And you can click here if you want to compare all the contact information we've gathered for IRS.
What is GetHuman's Relationship to IRS?
In short, the two companies are not related. GetHuman builds free tools and shares information amongst customers of companies like IRS. For large companies that includes tools such as our GetHuman Phone, which allows you to call a company but skip the part where you wait on the line listening to their call technology music. We've created these shortcuts and apps to try to help customers like you (and ourselves!) navigate the messy phone menus, hold times, and confusion with customer service, especially with larger companies. And as long as you keep sharing it with your friends and loved ones, we'll keep doing it.